Mixed Media Abstract Painting
Date: 10 Wednesdays, September 16 - November 18, 2020
Time: 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Location: Classroom 9A (Building 27)
Instructor: Heather Neilson
Tuition: $240 Non-Members / $216 Members
Materials Fee: $10 payable to the instructor
SMALL CLASS SIZE! In this class, Heather will guide you in building beautiful abstract paintings using mixed media techniques. You will build finished pieces using paint, hand made collage papers, tools, and other mediums that will build texture and layers. Each week Heather will demonstrate a new technique that will help you build depth and richness in your paintings. She will guide you in how to make decisions and how to know when your work is finished. In addition, you will gather ideas for color, composition, and mark-making. Heather’s approach to painting is intuitive, freeing, and expressive. No experience is necessary, just a willingness to explore!
Download suggested materials list here.
• Canvas - Approximately three 10x10 or larger size wrapped canvas or wood panel. I would not recommend anything bigger than 20x20. They do not have to be square size. The number you will need will depend on how fast you work and your preference. You could start with one or two and purchase more as needed.
• Brushes - student preference but recommend a 1” wide flat, a round brush, and a couple of small brushes.
• Foam brushes - cheap foam brushes from hardware or job lot store - at least two 2”
• Paint - acrylic paint - any colors of your choice but please include black, white, and highly suggest one of each primary - red, blue, yellow. Note: I will have yummy, special GOLDEN paint colors for you to try so do not buy a lot of different colors.
• Matte medium - I recommend GOLDEN brand but any brand is fine.
• Printer paper or any scrap white paper (for collage making and lifting-up paint) - approximately 15-20 sheets
• Paper towels - it gets messy!
• Any favorite oil pastels, watercolor crayons, charcoal, pens, pencils, markers
• Any collage material or ephemera - I will have a lot to use and we will make our own but if you have some that you have been collecting and would like to bring, feel free to do so!
• Disposable gloves
About the Instructor
Heather Neilson has pursued the study of art history and direct art making for the last 25 years. She has attended classes at the New York Art Students League and studied with several master artists. She received her B.A. in Communications from Rutgers University. She is a certified GOLDEN Arts Educator and teaches art workshops in her studio and throughout the region. Visit Heather's website.