Mixed Media Collage
Date: 8 Thursdays, January 6 - February 24, 2022
Time: 10:00 AM - 12:30 PM
Location: Classroom 3A (Building 27)
Instructor: Heather Neilson
Tuition: $240 Non-Members / $216 Members
Materials Fee: $10 payable to the instructor
Explore creative possibilities with mixed media collage! You will create hand made collage papers and learn a variety of techniques to build texture and layers. You will learn how to create depth and richness in your mixed media art and how to make it personal and unique. Heather will also help you experiment and develop ideas for color, composition and mark making. Heather’s approach to art making is freeing, educational and expressive. Noexperience is necessary, just a willingness to explore!
Download Materials List
• 3 cradled panels. 12”x12” and depth. Purchase online here.
• Acrylic paint - bring a few colors you love or have on hand. The instructor will have plenty of high quality GOLDEN paint for you to use. This is a good high-quality GOLDEN starter set
• Soft gel medium
• Brushes - bring a couple of nice brushes for paint plus one utility brush from the hardware store.
• Paper towels (blue shop towels from hardware store are recommended)
• A palette
• Palette knife
• Optional: Latex gloves, apron
• Optional ideas (the more personal your materials are, the more meaningful but I will have plenty of material for you if you do not bring any):
• your own collage or old paper stash
• broken jewelry
• rusty bits
About the Instructor
Heather Neilson has pursued the study of art history and direct art making for the last 25 years. She has attended classes at the New York Art Students League and studied with several master artists. She received her B.A. in Communications from Rutgers University. She is a certified GOLDEN Arts Educator and teaches art workshops in her studio and throughout the region. Visit Heather's website.