In this beginner painting class you will be introduced to classical and contemporary painting and develop a broad understanding of painting with acrylics. You will learn the fundamental building blocks of shading, color mixing, subject selection, and composition. Demonstrations will be given throughout the course. Acrylic paints will be the primary medium for this class.
Download Materials List
Carolann's favorite paint colors
• Basic set of Acrylic Paints (primary colors and white), additional colors as you prefer. Will be discussed in class.
• One canvas, and multiple (3 or 4) canvas boards 9x12‘’ or larger
• Mixing tray for paints: large enamel ‘butchers’ tray’ is recommended (available at Jerry’s Artarama in Elmwood section of West Hartford.
• Paper Towels
• Water Container (old large yogurt container or large glass jar is fine)
• Brushes: Long-handled acrylic or oil nylon or bristle brushes in a set of various shapes. Student grade brushes are fine.
• Soft pencil
• Paper color wheel
Dick Blicks – Plainville
Jerry’s Artarama - West Hartford
Michael’s in Avon (has less of a selection and tends to be a little more expensive)
About the Instructor
Carolann has accrued an impressive list of honors and awards. A first class realist, you may come upon her work in the form of Trompe L’oeil (French for “fool the eye”) murals, faux finished walls, and furniture. Carolann paints these illusory scenes in Oil or Acrylic using brushes, rags, sponges, or feathers. Wherever you find her Art, you will find it to be vibrant, happy, and alive. Carolann has a BA degree Magna Cum Laude from Douglass College at Rutgers University. She has been teaching at FVAC since 1991. Visit Carolann's website.